PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAL 331 Kingston final report
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2014, 14:23
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PENCO, as before I agree that attitude is important (see http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa-...ml#post3835921 also #9, #11, before that). However, I disagree with the view that the decision is always deliberate or something which without-fail can be controlled; the reasoning for this is described by others in HF guidance materials, and in particular ‘A Life in Error’ by James Reason – his latest (final) book which provides an excellent overview.

Also based on the views of Reason, blame and punishment (as in sending an e-mail to errant parties) to aid behaviour change may not be as successful as imagined. Better results – a change of attitude / behaviour, might come from explaining the risks in the operation (education / training / experience) and having clear operational boundaries and guidance, aiding decisions, deliberate or otherwise to be based on critical issues, which hopefully would provide a better balance between safety and human desire, i.e. knowing what parameters are important and why, what are the limitations or assumptions in data, or how far information might be extrapolated; the devil is in this detail, where improvements in professional attitudes might help.