PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps – Then and Now
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2014, 13:32
Q-RTF-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What encouraging replies so far, all generally positive and nice to read; thanks to those who have replied thus far. The comments and observations all have their individual slant and most suggest the ATC is very much alive and well, albeit with a broader horizon.

While the source does not steam from my most favourite newspaper, the following link documents a tale of fortitude, grit and determination while at the same time providing a good example of the broader social perspective the ATC now brings to the table by catering to the goals and vision held by a very plucky young lady.

A personal experience of days gone by: I was really desperate to get a “jet flight” during a summer camp at Shawbury but, was told all available slots taken, I was however given one of those “nudge nudge wink wink” hints that said were I to be in a position the following Monday ASAP then PERHAPS. I lived in Cheshire so at 0 dark hundred the following Monday donned my uniform and successfully hitchhiked back to Shawbury and presenting myself once more; before I knew what was happening I found myself being briefed by a rather elderly Polish flight sergeant before wandering out to a Meteor T7 for the first of TWO trips that morning. I was able to hitch back home in reasonable time to confess what I had been up to. I was told I was walking around like the cat that licked the cream for days ! I doubt that sort of flexibility would be available today (more's the pity).