PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2014, 10:28
tonker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"So, you don't think part of your job as a Captain is to help FOs learn and develop their skill set? Narrow minded, more like...

So many Captains these days insist on being SOP monitors and only allowing FOs to fly though the automatics in fair weather, not letting them make any decisions on their own sectors. It's nervous control-freak Captains who are too scared of their jobs that are preventing FOs from growing into capable commanders, and then we end up with a bunch of woolly minded young Captains with no common sense or airmanship who hide behind manuals and make the most outrageous cock-ups when presented with something a little non-standard. If all Captains let FOs of the leash a little more, then the FOs would pick up all sorts of hints and tips and would develop a wide and deep level of operating experience."

There is a lot of truth in why you say, but as a commander of only two years experience i'll do my best to let the chap next to me progress and experiment as much as i can, but in this day and age i'm just covering my arse at every corner.

Is isn't your sector either. They are both the Captains. He/She is allowing you to operate one of theirs. Not trying to be a picky knob but having been in front of "The board" you have to have these legalities nailed!

Regards