PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps – Then and Now
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2014, 09:11
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Smujsmith might like to know that 1122 (Tamworth) Sqn ATC is alive and (generally) well and living in Moor Street Tamworth. It is one of the 32 squadrons in the Staffordshire Wing ATC, whose 'footprint' extends from Buxton down into the West Midlands.

I joined as a cadet in 1958 and moved on to the RAF in 1963. After 31 years, during which time I was Air Cadets Liaison Officer at several units, I left regular service and went back to being a civilian volunteer and then returned to uniform as a VR(T) officer. Much to my surprise and despite my antiquity, I was 'signed on' for another year recently.

The cadet forces are a wonderful group of youth organisations and the regular forces love them. Former members who join the armed forces are easier to train, more willing to conform, have lower attrition rates in training, better pass rates, remain longer and generally cause less trouble, than those with no previous cadet experience. Whatever they do, they frequently outshine supposedly better candidates. How many teenagers going for a job interview can boast a Gold DofE, four BTECs, a Sports Leadership award and - oh by the way - have soloed in a glider, just returned from an overseas camp or expedition and wear the red lanyard from the Junior Leaders Course. I wish I could start all over again!!!

The cadet forces, however, need adults to make it happen. So whether you are ex-service or not, why not search out your nearest cadet centre and as the TV game show slogan used to say - come on down!

Old Duffer