PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel V8 flys
Thread: Diesel V8 flys
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2014, 01:28
yr right

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember flat screens TVs that where upwards of 20k when it's first here now you can get them for $100. Now why is that. Mass production. Aviation isn't like that. It's a unequivocal low production where 500 aircraft is a great deal.
Now nothing in aviation is cheap. Nor dose it ever get cheaper. Litagation insurance is the main reason. Yet what is developed in aviation finds it's way to the greater public in other areas. Carbon fibre is a prime example.
I change a turbine disc just recently. At $2000 each turbine blade and 54 in a disc they use to be around $550 ea. that's over 100k just in blades.

Fadec fine but in GA I have to ask why. What happens when it stops. Now remember it breaks. Who has spares. Equipment to look after it. Who then pays for that. What happens if it stops in the middle of no where. I'm not against change but the cost is going to hurt. I've heard flying schools removing glass screens and going back to dials because they can't afford the cost of a break down at arond $25k a hit for a replacement. Won't hurt my pocket but may hurt yours.