PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mistys brief guide to Darwin. 2014.
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2014, 00:38
TheMist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mistys brief guide to Darwin. 2014.

Nothing majorly new to other posts on here about Darwin, perhaps a post to keep things concise and current…

I went on March 20. Air Frontier had just finished hiring the week before.
The long range weather forecast was for 2 weeks of solid rain at the start of April, the last of the wet season.

Most if not just about all the Backpacker Hostels are in the city, I stayed at the YHA hostel. Expensive for what it is, however a quiet non party hostel and a nice TV room next to room 35 upstairs! Transport to/from the Airport via the Shuttle costs $16 one way, or $29 return, however there is considerable time delay dropping off and picking up others. A Taxi will get you there in less than 15mins, at your convenience, with a cost of $25-29 on the Credit Card (slightly less for cash), one way. You can go either straight to the GA side, or to the main terminal to kick off your walk around.

If you walk from the main terminal to get to the main GA area of companies, walk across the main zebra crossing from under the awnings, then through the trees and follow the path to the right and the signs to the CASA office, about a 10mins walk, and continue past to Vincent and Kakadu. Alternatively, from the Terminal walk along to your right following the footpath down to the Bus coach area and then dogleg through the small roads to get to the line of other operators like Air North, Pearl and Helicopter companies.

Presuming you are new to the area do not underestimate the heat. I was there early morning, 830am sweating like a pig within 5mins, and I mean more sweat than if I had been for a run! I would recommend as odd as it may seem going just after lunch as a breeze picks up to help with keeping cool. Definitely wear a wide brimmed hat, take plenty of water, and take a break in the Terminal. If you have the luxury of a car, take a change of shirt.

Operators:

Kakadu

Vincent
(porta-building, one end has a large sign for the Freight Office, other end with no signs is the Admin/HR offices)

Chartair
(will spend time with pilots if you’re there between 4-5pm)

Paspaley/Pearl
(next to the Air North hangar, not the GA side which is for Engineering)

Hardies
(prefer you to send CV via email)

JFC Air Charter

Tiwi
(just a check in Office, it is part of Hardies)

Air Frontier

Arafura
(no office on the field, but based in Darwin)

Territory Air Services
(no office on the field, but based in Darwin)

Careflight

Air North

Helicopter operators

Last edited by TheMist; 19th May 2014 at 01:27. Reason: Operator name correction