PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSIO 360 leaning questions.
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 23:54
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walter. Thankyou. I think the time you & John put into responding is fantastic.

But, inevitably, I have more questions:

The 1300dF target is for non-TC'd engines. Your engine's Target should be around 1150-1200dF, so your not very far off as it is
John Deaking article " Those Fore Breathing Turbo's - part 4" which is Pelican's perch #34 says:

TATurbo says, for climb, rich of peak EGT (ROP), with their turbo installation, use the mixture, and:
Below 10,000 feet MSL, adjust the Turbine Inlet Temperature (TIT) to about 1290°F.
Above 10,000 feet MSL, adjust the TIT to about 1270°F.
Above 17,000 feet MSL, adjust the TIT to about 1250°F
In fact, I suspect that pilots could just use 1250°F during ROP climbs, with very little "cost."
This concept of a "Target TIT" works very well in a very wide variety of turbocharged engines, not just the normalized versions.
He goes on to make further references to leaning the TSIO 550 by reference to TIT. This is where I got both the idea and the numbers, so please explain.

Part of my problem, is that there are a number of versions of full rich for the TSIO 360. This is why I am looking for a better reference. The variations I have are:

1. Actual full rich on the aircraft. This frequently has higher fuel flows that the "Max Allowable - full rich" line on the fuel flow vs BHP graph in the CMI OM
2. Full rich as defined by the " Max allowable - full rich" line on the fuel flow vs BHP graph in the CMI OM. I will need to lean to get to this figure.
3. Rich by TIT - any guideline of climbing by TIT (even your suggested 1100 - 1200) will require a degree of leaning.

If I look at the fuel flow vs BHP graph for the TSIO 360 - KB engine of the Seneca III as a proxy then I get 2 more full rich figures;
4. "Recommended Full Rich" when I overlay the TSIO 360 EB graph, this is a higher fuel flow than " Max allowable - full rich" for that engine.
5. The TSIO 360 KB engine has an additional line labelled " Approximate Full rich"

At 200 Hp (40 / 2575) these 5 different " full rich" conditions show a variation of about 10 litres / hr (about 11%).

I will check later today, but from memory the procedure to set fuel pressure is the same for all variations of the TSIO 360, which makes the variation in the full rich curve between engines as more curious.

I also find it curious that " full rich" changes across the TSIO-360 series. At 200 Hp it varies from the TSIO 360 AB at 110 lbs/hr to the TSIO 360 EB at 140 lbs/hr. This makes me think that " full rich" is a notional concept.

At the CMI Recommended climb power of 75% (150 Hp) the difference between these full rich figures is 14 litres per hour - or about 25%.

Last edited by Old Akro; 18th May 2014 at 00:13.