PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAL 331 Kingston final report
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 21:24
SLFinAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but if your so "task saturated" that your unaware you've used up 50% of the runway on the flare then you don't belong in the pointy end of the plane. While I've done my best to read and understand all of the subtleties in the end this is simply command responsibility.

The PIC (regardless of who's PF/PM) has final responsibility for all souls on board. It's a heavy burden and requires a specific psychological make up. While a pilot may be technically sound and have tremendous experience as measured in hours that does not mean he's actually capable of command.

Not every FO is qualified for command but from my understanding of the current system it's almost entirely seniority based unless someone is less then competent. This is in fact the real problem with Airbus, that in fact command authority can be engineered to the lowest common denominator. To the point that you even refer to a large, complicated and entirely unforgiving marvel of technology as a "bus"...and start to treat those responsible for it's operation accordingly.

As for this the fact that the captain still has 4 stripes is a major indictment of the system. Fundamental command failure is just that.