PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps – Then and Now
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 20:08
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1122 (Marmion) Squadron was my initiation to military perspective. Coming from a small Staffordshire village which offered the option of work on the local farms, or leave. As a young lad I was fascinated by Biggles, the Dambusters and all the other tales of derring do of the Royal Air Force. Luckily, between working as a lad on the farm, going to school, playing trombone in the school band, my mother had the time to drive me to the ATC on a Friday night, and collect me later (I usually had to be up at 0400 on Saturday to get the cows in for milking). You will no doubt be wondering what all this rambling is on about. Well, 1122 (Marmion) Squadron made a big enough impression on me to make me apply for a Halton Apprenticeship, which I got, and never regretted. Chipmunk flying from Shawbury, gliding at Tern Hill. Summer Camp at RAF Ouston, all still happy memories of my days as a member. Its nice to hear that the ATC still operates, and good that it serves a wider base than in my day, when a love of RAF history, and its aircraft was key. Good luck for the future to all, but Particularly 1122 Squadron, Staffordshire's finest IMHO.

Smudge