PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps – Then and Now
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 19:00
Phil_R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is going to sound terribly like smoke-blowing, but I've encountered groups of air cadets on a few occasions and always been impressed. My line of work means I'm often out and about with a big, noticeable broadcast camera on my shoulder, which generally attracts attention of the "hello, mum" variety. On one occasion I was shooting at an event where some members of the ATC were in attendance and in contrast to the norm they took an interest, approached, patiently and politely asked questions and ended up getting a brief lesson in camera operation (with, of course, permission from their terrifying flight sergeant).

I'm not a big fan of kids, ordinarily, Good grief, I remember thinking, teenagers I don't immediately dislike (scouts are, in my experience, not nearly as pleasant a group of people).

You really do have to do something about the awful skirt-and-sensible-shoes combo on the girls, though. They look rough enough on actual RAF women, where they tend to at least fit, let alone kids. It doesn't look smart, it doesn't look martial, it just looks like a poorly-funded 1950s reenactment group.

P