PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps – Then and Now
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 18:30
DC10RealMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My observations as a Civilian Instructor on my local Squadron is that today the Air Training Corps is a youth movement for young people which prepares them for life and not just a recruitment tool for the RAF.
This rationale is much more in line with life in the 21st Century with a contraction of the RAF and consequent vacancies few and far between.

There is a wide ranging scale of activities suited to young people which equips them for the experiences of further education and the working environment in addition to the military lifestyle

If they have an interest specifically in Aviation it can be accounted for by utilizing other sources and not just military ones, for example I have just spent the day with our local cadets as guests of the Shropshire Aero Club at Sleap Aerodrome who made them very welcome and allowed them to visit all the facilities including the various club aircraft whilst watching the annual Golding-Barrett Aerobatic Trophy.

Please don't worry about the future of the Air Training Corps as it is in safe hands with dedicated cadets and staff and I, as an adult have to say it is a privilege to be associated with such fine young people.