PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps – Then and Now
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 16:03
Q-RTF-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Training Corps – Then and Now

I was an ATC cadet in latter 50’s before entering the Air Force as a Boy Entrant at only a little over the age of 15; I’ve been involved with aviation ever since. When I joined the ATC my squadron was lacking an instructor for the .303 Browning, a curriculum subject in those days. My father had served as an Air Gunner in WW2 (Tail End Charlie on Lancasters) so I approached my CO putting forward my father as a candidate to fill the void. The CO pounced on the opportunity and before he realized what had happened, father was enlisted a civilian instructor on the squadron. By the time I shipped out to become a Boy Entrant, father was the civilian adjutant; later to be commissioned and ultimately the Squadron Commander. I have happy memories of my ATC days and follow with interest, from a distance, changes in the organization. Squadron facilities seem to have improved, as has the rather dreadful uniform and the addition of the fairer sex adds a new dimension. The uniformed instructor rank system seems to have changed significantly while the content of “summer camps” seems to have diluted. Flying and gliding training has been restructured while “air experience flights” seem to have almost withered on a tree. I think there will be many in this forum with ATC experience and perspectives. I’m (hopefully) inviting a general discussion on the merit of changes in the organization and also any experiences that may be offered, humorous tales especially welcome. I have no particular agenda except to be interested in getting a better feel for all the water that has passed under the bridge and enjoying the odd yarn.