PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange SOP on how to land a 737
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 15:24
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woha guys and girls - no-one is suggesting that you should not just 'fly' a 'real' visual approach, but the OP question was about flying the ILS glideslope to TCH.

As to all the questions about A380 airports, 43/Bloggs - do you not have a landing briefing which covers PAPI appearance or do you just bowl on in and think - Hmm - more reds than I expected on the PAPIs but, hey ho.............?

In any case, no sensible pilot will 'suddenly' adjust the visual picture on transferring - there is no need. Providing the picture is 'right' you 'point' the ship at where you want to land and that is it, is it not?

It is, however, a moot point - I have lost count of the number of times I have sat and watched both 4 whites and an ILS GP pointer on the cockpit floor as we sail happily past everything, still airborne and a frantic little hand clutching for the reverser levers - aggghhhh!. Not sure what is being 'followed'. Better to concentrate on just getting the lady down at the right place than following x,y or z.