PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Recovery
Thread: Stall Recovery
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 13:15
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A CAA Testing Officer with the initials NK based in NZCH would often have a CPL testee do a fully developed stall over the Eyrewell low flying area at 1,000' AMSL. I had an instructor stalling the aircraft on final during my CPL training. Didn't much like it but it was a good learning experience. Things look a lot different down from 3,000'.

The Aero Club President took the aerobatic aircraft (never liked the thought of having to bolt 40lbs of weight to the tail to make it spin) out one day and for some unknown reason he decided that 5,000' was where he wanted to start. He said he usually started spinning at 3,000' but not that day and as luck or fate would have it, the Beagle went into a flat spin. He said if he had started at his usual 3,000' he would not have recovered in time and be recounting the story.

As for the 3,000' being a "fund raiser" for the flying school; I often used the clime to practise climbing turns, compass turns or wear the hood and log I/F time. Not a waste at all IMO.