PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you ever sent a mayday?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 11:03
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes ... Prior to a forced landing into a field.

I cancelled it when on the ground only to have a police helicopter land a few minutes later and the crew come over. I said I'd cancelled the call which they acknowledged but they said they were about to land at Deanland (nearest airfield) and refuel anyway ... so thought they'd just check I was ok. Nice of them but very embarrassing.

Mary ... as you will know. Aviate first communicate second. At 1500' put out a call once you have tried a restart and if that fails picked a field. Radio call is way down the priority list but worth making if you can do it without taking your mind off other things in a high stress situation. I would question an instructor who thought otherwise!

SS

PS ... I know what you mean Pace. I think my call went along the lines of "Ummmm! Mayday (just once I think ... I may even have said Pan Pan rather than Mayday?) ... Shoreham, G-#### ummmm, engine failure near Deanland, errrr but big field below" .... The ground call to say I was ok was relayed by the police helicopter. The call wasn't text book for sure but I was concentrating on the landing by then and my memory of what I actually said has gone.

Last edited by shortstripper; 17th May 2014 at 11:10. Reason: to add the PS