PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel V8 flys
Thread: Diesel V8 flys
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 09:48
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sms777:
I am an avgas fan and could not be botherd using google....so my question is....Can you run your Toyota Land Cruiser on JetA or could you run your PT6 on automotive diesel?
In both cases, the answer is yes - but in both cases nearly all the manufacturers recommend against it.
It all comes back to the fact that each fuel is refined for a specific purpose, and refined to fuel specifications that apply to each type of fuel.

In the case of the Landcruiser - older diesel Landcruisers (with mechanical fuel injection) run quite happily on a mixture of kerosene and crankcase oil (not more than 5% oil).
However, newer models with electronic fuel injection have much tighter parameters for the fuel viscosity, and the ECU can sometimes reject the fuel once those parameters are exceeded. In other words, the engine will refuse to fire and a fault code will show.
I am not sure if JetA would be outside the viscosity parameters of regular road diesel in an electronically-injected Landcruiser. There is a difference in SG between the two fuels.

As for using diesel in a PT6 - yes, you can, but most manufacturers do not recommend it, because of the high possibility of the diesel fuel gelling or freezing.
Diesel fuel can be used in low level aviation operations, if the engine manufacturer approves.
JetA has lubricity improvers for improved aviation engine life, and other additives that allow it to still function satisfactorily as a fuel at the extremes of temperatures encountered in aviation at higher altitudes.
This question has been discussed before at length, on this forum - http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/444111-diesel-fuel.html