PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 08:33
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Hours and Acronyms

Danny et al:

I now have my father's Pilot's Flying Log Sheet (Substitute for Form 414) from No. 3 E(lementary)FTS Shellingford Berkshire which shows that he did 12.20 total time before being dispatched to 5 BFTS by the now well-known Heaton Park - Moncton route.
His instructor was a F/O Meretinsky, the DH.82A was T6564 (this a/c now in NZ I hear) and he soloed (.10) at 8.55 TT on the 21st of June 1942.
That sheet is all I have of his time in training, because his first log book was lost on the "Passage to India". The log book that I do have is a canvas-covered "Air Forces in India" Pilot's Flying Log Book which starts with 317.45 hours carried forward. So, 12 hours approx for 3 EFTS, 200 hours approx for 5 BFTS as we have established from others on this thread. Which would mean that (from his record of service in the back of the log book) he would have done another 100 hours approx at 6(P) A.F.U. Little Rissington on Oxfords to have the 317.45 hours that the Air Force (India) Form 414 commences with. Does that seem about right for A.F.U. time everybody?

Danny, I am delighted to see that you too are enjoying Will Largent's book!

Ian BB