PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you ever sent a mayday?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 05:01
B Fraser
Tabs please !

Received 370 Likes on 221 Posts
2nd solo, 300 feet after touch and go and lost a cylinder - possibly due to lead fouling. I found out that the engine had a plugs change earlier in the day. The school was first class so no quibbles with their engineering team who could not replicate the fault on the ground. I declared a Pan and the ATC / fire truck chaps were terrific.

Becalmed in a hot air balloon over railway lines with trains hurtling by at 125 mph beneath the basket. Adjacent to our position, we had power lines, a forest and a river with a mere 15% remaining on the last tank. There was no use in calling anyone so I didn't bother. Previously, I had done a burn and climb to 2,500 feet then descended which changed our location over the ground by about 30 feet. We eventually got it down on top of the railway embankment in an area 15 feet wide with a fence running up the middle and dropped the envelope in the trees.

Paraglider launch off a cliff above lake Annecy in France from a clearing a little wider than the wing. I caught a tip in a branch and spun into a tree, ending up clinging to the trunk above a 500 foot drop. My mates got me out and I had a Stella Artois event in the bar that night where we got very "refreshed". Money well spent.

Squeaky bum times !