PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2014, 20:54
Ormeside28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaining An R.A.F. Pilots Brevet in WW11

On 18 Course at Terrell we lost 20 R.A.F. Cadets (one killed) out of 80 starting and 4 American Cadets (one killed) out of 20 so the percentages were the same.
We were allowed off base on Wednesday evenings (if not flying ) until 9p.m. On Saturdays out until 9 p.m. but if not flying on Sunday then out overnight until 9 p.m. on Sunday. To get to the "main drag" it was necessary to pass through the suburb of Terrell on the "wrong side of the track" but there was never any trouble.
Pay for we cadets (LAC's) was 7/3, seven shillings and sixpence, per day.
Paid every two week it worked out at $25
At the end of Primary we were given a weeks leave. A friend and I decided to go to the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. Terrell was on Highway 80 which went through to Los Angeles. It was easy to hitch hike and good to meet the Texans who were kind and hospitable . One "hitch" was with an American Staff Sergeant Air Gunner who insisted on taking us to his base at Monahans - still on Highway 80. It was a B17 Fortress O.T.U. He introduced us to his Colonel (Only time I saluted without a hat. The Colonel arranged for us to sleep and eat in the Bachelor Officer Quarters - on the American Air Force - and to be shown around the base. I was allowed to sit in an Aerocobra, and to be shown over a Fortress and run up the engines! a great thrill.
On then to Pecos where we met the Sherriff who showed us his museum. Pecos had been the Wild West and his museum of villains and their weapons was fascinating. A side road took us to Carlsbad where we stayed and next day took an excursion to the Cavern. It was discovered early in the century by a cowboy who saw smoke, investigated, and found that the smoke was bats. The Caves were then explored and quite developed. When we were there there were miles still to be explored.
Hitch back to Terrell and the mighty AT6. I am away now for a week. Thank you.