PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2014, 20:22
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500N,

Happy to oblige on deck aspects.

The deck steel can handle the F-35B doing VLs. Any potential issues could be further mitigated by using a 'creeping landing' technique as pioneered by the Kestrel in the 60s, where the aircraft lands with a knot or two of forward speed. This was hard in the Harrier, it's easy in the F-35B.

What does need to be considered is the resistance of the deck paint, or non-skid coating. Normal deck paints, especially the UK type, doesn't have a long life with Harriers. More a through life cost issue, though, not a 'deck capability' one. The 'Thermion' system, which is a sprayed on metallic coat, seems to perform extremely well. This can be applied to the areas of the deck most exposed to hot jet efflux.

I can post with a little knowledge here as I was involved with the BAE Systems trial and test work being carried out at Warton and Brough a few years ago. It was a thorough, extensive and ground breaking effort that took the US/UK knowledge of hot gas effects on surfaces many years forward. We also tested Thermion.

The bottom line is that the teams are well placed to put this aircraft on a range of decks. It's not a big deal. Seriously. It's normal STOVL at sea stuff.

I know some reading this will not want to believe that, but it's the truth.

Best Regards as ever and hope this helps,

Engines