PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2014, 15:06
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SDBeach

I am not up to date on what Cirrus have recently added to the POH in regards to advice on use of the BRS.

i was aware of a previous clip regarding engine failure which advised gliding to a suitable landing site and performing a standard FL and ONLY to CONSIDER the BRS if no suitable landing site was available.

The recommendations from many here is to use the chute for every engine failure as standard practice regardless of being over built up areas or otherwise.
Sadly one day a Cirrus will pull over built up areas rather than gliding clear and will cause a multiple road collision or injury/death to someone on the ground.

If Cirrus have now changed their policy regarding engine failure then please post the new recommendations.

Also consider an engine failure is more likely to happen soon after takeoff when the engine is most stressed has consideration been made regarding pulling at below recommended safe chute altitudes.

finally what are COPA and Cirrus recommendations in strong wind conditions? We all know the damage caused to a car in a 30mph crash into a solid object a car has far better crash protection than an aircraft with a large lump of engine in front of the pilots.

what is the COPA attitude regarding a descending aircraft moving not just vertically but horizontally at 30 to 40 KTS?

Surely that 30 to 40 KTS would suit an in control FL into wind better than under a chute?

Again its not to much to ask for official guidance or is it? These are valid points!!!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 16th May 2014 at 17:26.