PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2014, 13:52
Danny42C

Ormeside28,

Night flying in the Stearman sounds rather frightening, but I suppose it was no worse than in the BT-13 which we started on in Basic School.

"I suppose that it obviated a slanging match in the air !" We had to throttle back so as to have our slanging match - and a set of (Instr) hand signals all of which I've forgotten (except when he patted himself on the head, it meant "I have Control"). Voice Tubes ? You had it good, mate !

There is a lot of talk about fearsome rattlesnakes in the cockpit, but I never saw a snake there (nor in three years plus in India and Burma - except the toothless ones in the snake-charmer's basket in the bazaar). I suppose they kept out of our way....D.

Ormeside28, 26er, Hummingfrog,

We seem to have the Total Hours figure for the later BFTS pretty firm now (200hrs) which would bring them into line with the Arnold figure. It seems that it was done by getting rid of the BT-13 (no loss !) and piling its time onto the AT6 (Harvard). It made sense...D.

All,

If time hangs heavy on your hands, Google-up:

Purdue State University e-books. 9-15-2000 RAF Wings Over Florida: Memories of World WarII British Air Cadet Willard Largent.

Free Download. No end of good stuff. "Compare and Contrast", as they say, with my tales of Carlstrom (ca Page 117)...D.

Cheers, Danny.

EDIT: Hummingfrog, (your #5629), could you please ask your Dad if he remembers how many started on his Course, and how many "washouts" there were ?....D.

Last edited by Danny42C; 16th May 2014 at 19:36. Reason: Add Text,