PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 16th May 2014, 12:49
Tynado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

I have considered all 3 of the armed forces. Like mentioned it is my fitness that is currently stopping me however the past week I have gone on runs around a local field as my leg has got slightly better since the accident.

I would say the RAF would be the best route for me as the Navy doesn't appeal as most of the time would be spent on ships even if as a pilot. The Army, you are a soldier first, however it does seem one of the easiest routes, especially as my qualifications mean I could potentially join up as an officer rather than commit 3 years to being a door gunner before having the opportunity to apply for a pilot vacancy. The RAF also seems to be the best out there for how you are generally treated.

Good shout with the parachuting, I know there are a few skydiving places just out of town so I could give them a shot. There's also a gliding club which is very cheap for flights and to learn to get a gliding licence so that could also be a possibility once transport is sorted out as I imagine someone with a gliders licence would get the edge over someone with no experience at all.