PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA, what do YOU want???
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2003, 11:33
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compressor Stall
Having been in the industry for only about ten years, you unfortunately have been denied the experience of having an AOPA that achieved things in a quite and efficient manner. Probably the only weakness of the "old guard" was that they did not stand on the table top and beat their chests whenever they had a win (and they had many). The just got on with it. It was not until the two "generals" took the show over in the mid '90's did it all go sour. Prior to your day many of the pilots that joined up during their training stayed members when employed in all sectors of the industry. In fact I would go as far as to say that prior to 94, AOPA did most if not all the things you call for. The professional pilot members however left in droves when the "weekend warrior" tribe came to town. They just did not want to be part of it. I must be one of the few exceptions and have stayed a member throughout it all because I believe the cause is greater than those individuals who think they can be everything to everyone, which of course nobody can. It seems your introduction to the industry was about that time, so the vibes would not have been positive. There are a lot of good people in this industry that would give of their time to help in whatever way they can, but not if they are rubbished or spoken down to by self confessed experts with ego's they cannot manage.

What we the members now have to ensure is that AOPA returns to being an organisation that is managed in a sound manner and provides services to the membership that the membership expect. This must be achieved in a professional, responsible and transparent manner. Once it is seen by all that AOPA are now doing business that way, not only will the members return (with a bit of help from a membership drive) but all those with whom we deal will be prepared to sit down and discuss the issues that are the reason we are AOPA.