PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2014, 09:01
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji

Reading some of the defensive responses makes me feel that some think I am attacking the Cirrus and its BRS system.

I am not in the slightest and consider it to be the biggest safety enhancement in GA.

The idea that if all goes pear shaped with either yourself or the aircraft and rather than ending up as a hole in the ground the complete aircraft and its occupants can be safely lowered to the ground has to be a major advancement in potential safety.

The argument is not about the concept or the aircraft or the technology but its about when to use it ? and the dangers of having such a life saving option available actually drawing pilots into situations where they cannot cope and end up having to use the BRS.

Technology is great but I can only go by my own experience of a lot of hard IFR in a multitude of piston twins, jets and ferry work to warn others of the dangers of relying on technology to compensate for their own lack of instrument flying ability!
Loose the technology and you are left with yourself, your own instincts ,ability, spatial awareness and ability to pick up your game to what is required. Sit there like a frozen Cod and the chute is your only option.

So please do not misunderstand what I am saying.

When the manufacturer(Cirrus) will not condone the use of the chute simply stating consider its use if all other conventional options are not available and a second body are advising the use of the BRS for any engine failure almost even down to using it if you sneeze then its natural that when to pull will be discussed as there is NO official guidance.

The chute pull records would indicate that many could have been avoided by basic training and pilot skills.

I also accept that in light GA PPL flying there will be a huge variation in pilot ability, currency and experience hence even more important that pilots guard against the BRS luring them into conditions where they cannot cope and end up having to use the chute for reasons which could have been avoided by more concentration on basic instrument flying skills and not on how to press buttons.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 16th May 2014 at 14:01.