PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSIO 360 leaning questions.
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2014, 00:04
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSIO 360 leaning questions.

In the past, the engines that I have run LOP have not had LOP prohibited by the engine operators manual. Using the Deakin / APS leaning techniques were not in conflict with the engine operators manual.

However, the CMI TSIO360 engine operators manual specifically prohibits LOP operation. Yet, anecdotally many Seneca II, Mooney 231 and Tirbo Arrow drivers run LOP successfully. I hoping for a comment by Jaba or JD or Walter on this.

Also, there is a thread on the Beechtalk forum about leaning solely according to TIT where George Brayley says that leaning according to TIT is fine and that EGT's are not that important for leaning of turbocharhed engines. However an APS branded seminar delivered to the EAA (by I think Mike Busch - available on the EAA website) condemned leaning by TIT. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't lean by TIT. Surely TIT and EGT have a direct relationship? The numbers might be different, but the curves should be the same shape?

My third question is leaning in the climb. The engine operators manual and the POH say to climb full rich. This is a pretty frightening fuel flow rate. I assume this is for cylinder cooling. But, I climb at 75% power and Carson speed (117 kts for the Seneca) not Best rate speed (89 kts). So, can I lean to best power settings as long as the CHT is within limits?

Out of curiosity, I overlaid the mixture / power graphs of the TSIO 360 and its normally aspirated brother. I was surprised at how different all 3 curves are (best econ, best power and full rich). Best economy and best power are not too different below about 80% power (the TSIO version uses a bit more), but full rich figure is about 50% higher. Is this just to provide fuel cooling? And shouldn't the turbo version be more efficient?