PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 22:20
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are saying that I am wrong in suggesting that pilots are on top of hand flying IFR and that technology should not be used to make up for a lack of skills then we are talking a different language
Pace

Well I would say you are wrong.

I would like to see a lot of IFR pilots fly a difficult approach with partial panel. Yes, of course they should be able to do so, but how many can honestly say they could?

In reality, in the GA world even IFR pilots are on the whole not flying enough and are not in the SIM enough (or at all) to make these procedures second nature.

The technology comes to the rescue, and hopefully it comes to the rescue to the extent that difficult approaches, with multiple failures dont occur, but in reality, I would suggest they are really dangerous and the evidence is many pilots will really struggle if and when they happen. Even high time GA pilots that are current and flying IFR a lot end up killing themselves. Single pilot IFR in a typical light single is one of the hardest things we do, arguably much harder than operating in a multi crew environment with all the bells and whistles.

With an eye to the response likely I repeat I am not suggesting that in an ideal world every pilot should be on top of their hand flying, but I am suggesting safety is about recognising the reality of the real world, not how we would wish that world behaves.