PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 15:54
Adrian N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are saying is it's ok for pilots to use technology to cover up their lack of skills
No. I think that is how you're choosing to interpret what I'm saying, but it's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that in the absence of technology that makes flying easier and safer, it's best not to plan to fly to the limits. I don't say that you shouldn't be able to do it if you have to, but the risks of making a mistake when flying an approach to 200ft with steam gauges and no autopilot are considerably higher than when you have a coupled autopilot and a 12 inch PFD.

So I am very relaxed about giving myself some extra margin when flying a 1966 Mooney; I'm not trying to prove that I'm the world's best pilot, and I'd rather land at my alternate than go missed at 200ft in IMC, or - depending on the weather - break out at 200ft and try do a nice landing in rough conditions. I'm equally relaxed at flying a missed approach from minimums in a Cirrus, or landing well after a last-minute transition from IMC to VMC. If that is covering up for my lack of basic skills, then so be it.

And, anyway, which skills might be lacking? Obviously everyone needs to be able to hand fly in IMC - but beyond that, what? Partial panel? It's a very different concept in a Cirrus compared to steam gauges; if the "gizmos" fail you are left with a mechanical attitude indicator, ASI, altimeter and compass, so you either find VFR conditions, or you end up using the parachute. Or perhaps the skills to use old-style navaids? The Cirrus I fly in the States has no DME and no ADF, so obviously the skill to use them fades. (The Mooney does have an ADF, but only to keep bureaucrats happy. I'd have to be masochistic or stupid to use it to fly an approach.)

As I said earlier, I think the world has moved on. Beyond the basic ability to control the aircraft in IMC, the skill that matters most in IFR in an aircraft like a Cirrus is a thorough understanding of the technology - the failure modes, the flight director and autopilot. But a lot of the skills that were essential for flying with steam gauges are not relevant.