PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirTanker First Officers
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 14:50
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to be clear ... My OP posed a genuine question ... I'm well aware that other posts on the topic of the AirTanker PFI contract have generated significant heated debate in the past ... The RAF is now operating this contract so my question is more about the here and now/future ... not the past/other solutions.

I was just wondering why the RAF couldn't provide Mil Co-pilots just out of training under the auspices of the deal ? With young Civilian FO Cadets coming out of places like Jerez and then effectively gaining their Air Bus Type Rating/ATPL "on-the-job-while-doing-the-job" ... then is there an opportunity to build like experience within the RAF by adopting a similar approach with graduates coming from MTES and doing likewise ? I appreciate that "retention" will need some thinking about ... perhaps some form of "indenture" mechanic that could be written down over time ?

Without a clear line of sight on career progression ... seeing an advert for Civilian FO's seemed odd ... That's all