PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International "Pilots must go back to basics>"
Old 15th May 2014, 10:12
Kefuddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lateonite,
And I strongly disagree that one learns to fly by watching an autopilot fly.
No, but one essential aspect of learning to fly is by knowing how the autopilot works, what modes are best suited for what situations, how to respond to unexpected behavior, when to use a specific level of automation and when not to and anticipating specific inadequacies and complications. As well as having the wherewithal to brief such strategies in a brief, concise and informative manner. Oh and watching it fly too!

Alf,
DW, your view depends on how you define ‘handling’; is this the physical flying skills or the more wider management skills, where awareness (mental activity) should precede action.
That's my angle alright
Re CRM, which part, which aspect? There may be a consistent understanding of what CRM is for – definitions can be quoted, but as to what CRM involves in application, then there is a vast range of views, personal, operational, cultural, national, etc. How might CRM help to diagnose or rectify a problem; please don’t quote ‘the use of all resources …’ as this is meaningless without defining which resources can be of value in a particular situation, which requires understanding the situation, etc, etc.
I was not sure if CRM would cause such a question. Let's forget the term CRM and lets use the term NOTECHS which is black and white. This is the basis of the CRM at my place and I think it is an excellent model to kills the waffle.