PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pa28 140 v 161, buying a share
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 09:30
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I did most of my flying training on the Cherokee 140 (150, really) in its various guises (overhead vs floor trim, push/pull carb heat vs up/down, toe brakes and not) and they all flew pretty much the same.

Later over the following 400hours or so I flew all the pa28 variants, various Cessnas, a Beagle, pa32's, a Mooney,etc but the main point is that I was current and regularly flying the '140 while also regularly flying the 181, 161 and 236.

Main difference is the performance - esp get off the ground/initial climb is sluggish. Close to the drag curve the wing gets draggy real fast. When you reduce power for approach, esp with flap on, it will feel like it's falling out of the sky compared to the Warrior. Won't tend to float so much at the flare, either. So the glide ratio is rubbish.

There isn't much pitch change when lowering flap. The taper-wing Cherokees pitch up, like a Cessna. The 140 won't. I seem to recall it pitches down a little.

You'll be quite load-limited compared to the Warrior. 3 medium/heavy people, and full fuel, you'll probably be over gross.

It's a pleasant, honest little beastie to fly. I don't think it's got a mean bone in its body - like most of the Cherokees. Does everything reasonably well, doesn't really shine at anything in particular. Like a Corolla.