PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manager Watching
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2014, 08:32
bang ding ow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony Tylor

HISTORY:
Back in the middle to late 90s when Tiny Tallstory...sorry Tony Tylor was the mismngr for corporate coms...he was famously quoted in Flight International mag as saying "Pilots are tough to manage". This was as a result of a request for comment as part of an article about the ongoing interminable industrial issues between CX and its Flight Crew.
CONTEXT:
Outside a well known bar in Wanchai (Joey Blanas) the evening of St. Andrews day, 2 grown men, 1 dressed in full Kilt Attire the other in a DJ/Tux screaming loudly at the doorman.
NARRATIVE:
As I approached the scene...I needed a beer....I recognized Tiny Tallstory/Tony Tylor as the main protagonist in the altercation. Additionally, he was thrusting what looked like a CX corporate credit card in the poor doorman's face screaming that only CX mismanagers were issued these cards and that should be verification enough to be admitted without having to pay the HK $200 door charge. CX employees were offered entry to the bar without having to pay the door charge on producing a CX ID card at the time. Recognizing that it would take some time for this fracas to resolve itself, and in serious need of more alcohol, I went to the head of the line and asked TT what the problem was. I used his name to address him which obvious made him feel at ease enough to explain what the problem was to me...I had actually never met the man before. After his particularly inebriated recount of his version of the facts I told the doorman (an acquaintance) that I would pay both their door charges. I apologized for the hassle and we were all let in. Hey, we've all made arses of ourselves in Wanchai right? On entering the massively crowded bar I made my way to the front and ordered drinks for myself, TT and his friend who were gently swaying some distance behind me. After the drinks were placed on the bar I picked TT and friend's drinks and handed TT's drink to him and said..."there you are Tony, see, we're not that tough to manage". At which point TT scowled, grabbed his drink away and walked off...not a word of thanks or acknowledgement, nothing.
CONCLUSION:
Tiny Tallstory/Tony Tylor....you were a complete plonker back then and you are still a complete plonker now.
Bang