PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAL 331 Kingston final report
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2014, 10:27
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember well, an increase of 50 feet over the runway threshold and 10 knots of V-th each produce an additional 1,000 feet of landing distance, all other condintions been equal.

And if even more for aircraft with tail engines, but also for those with engines under the wings (reverse thrust behind the c.g.), I recall that due to the lateral component of reverse thrust, a phenomenon is triggered whereby the more the axis of the aircraft deviates from QFU (having lost the center, and trying in vain to regain it) the greater a force is generated that takes us out of the Rwy, forcing us to decrease reverser, giving up the best means of deceleration at high speeds.

So if there is a moral in this story, let’s learn from:

Aluminium shuffler
This is not an issue of technical skills. It's an issue of attitude. That is why I can't forgive such events.
high temperatures and altitudes, winds, runway slopes, approach gradients, runway length, desired exit point and surface conditions. Most of my cadet FOs process the same factors with ease and without input from me, choosing flap and autobrake settings and reverse thrust amounts very similar or identical to my own assessments and raising the same "threats" I see, or at least most of them, as they brief me on their approach. It is not some mystical and hard acquired intuition but simple application of Performance A and attention to detail. That is a combination we are all supposed to have.
framer
Ten years ago I read a report about an aircraft that had a runway change just before joining an arc, instead of turning right to arc left they were asked to turn left and arc right. They accepted the change and quickly lost SA and crashed 7 miles short of the field. At the time I was new to command and decided that if faced with that situation I would request direct to the overhead to hold and brief the new approach. Guess what, a month later that exact scenario happened to me approaching an NDB arc .the F/o read the new clearance back but I asked him to request direct to the overhead for the hold. It was easy because I had made the decision a month earlier, that was the benefit of the report to me, advanced decision making.

Last edited by DOVES; 14th May 2014 at 14:53.