PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2014, 05:33
sdbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonz...
I don't see how the fact that I choose to fly a Cirrus should reflect adversely on my attitudes or abilities as a pilot?
It doesn't, I never stated or implied that.
I made a comment on your attitude, not what aircraft you fly

I think, you don't actually realise how defensive you are of a position that comes from a combination of lack of experience and steadfast belief in a single safety being the only option.
Thank you for explaining my attitude: I have often wondered what it is.
Jonzarno, interesting excerpt quoted here. And I sense that it reveals the challenge in communicating effectively.

First, note how Lone_Ranger described the attitude of pilots who fly Cirrus aircraft, the position he thinks you are defending -- "a combination of lack of experience," and "belief in a single safety being the only option." Were those your words? Do they apply to one Cirrus pilot? Or most? Or all? Or were those his beliefs from your words?

I recall my psychology courses describing this as a projection -- attributing to others the undesirable qualities that one denies in oneself. It's something that I have recognized and dealt with in my career, so it's become easier for me to see it happen to others.

Folks, I've interacted with Jon and other COPA members who do not lack experience and do not believe in an "only option." So, the explanation by Lone_Ranger does not apply to Jon, IMHO.

Yet, here we are presented with those two items as our beliefs. Wrong.

When presented as a stalking horse, these beliefs belittle the dialog, and makes it easy to pursue an interminable debate.

The reality is that only 1 person has died in a Cirrus fatal accident in the past 6 months (actually, he is missing in the middle of Brazil and presumed to have died). In the same time frame, 13 people have survived when they landed under a Cirrus parachute.

I hope that sometime, the folks posting on this thread about an unnecessary chute pull would talk with those families and ask -- was it unnecessary to have them home for dinner?

Cheers
Rick