PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ferrying of my new aircraft to California - a pictorial.
Old 13th May 2014, 14:47
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft ownership has its ups and downs and is not always for the faint of heart. It sure as h*ll can be a time eater.

After a 7 month long wait is was time to fire her up with two newly overhauled engines. I loaded in my CFII with me (as I hadn't flown for almost 5 months) and off we went. Box climb above the airport up to 2000ft.

Engines oil pressure barely in the green at full power, and well below green on both engines at cruise. Right engine runs much hotter than left, but otherwise behaving. Cut it short after 20mins and land. Manage to do a good landing after being away for 5 months, which pleased me.

When they pull oil filters, the left engine showed excessive aluminium and steel that my mechanic was not happy with. Engine was sent back to overhauler for further inspection. Turns out there's something called an oil jet that directs oil to the bottom of the pistons for cooling on the S1A5. The one on cylinder 3 had come loose from the oil galley and created a gaping hole - that was the reason the engine could not make oil pressure. The metal in filter came from case damage as the oil jet nozzle exited. They decided to replace case and crank. Right engine was suspected to have the oil jet thingys mis-torqued as well, so it was also opened up for precautionary reasons.

At least they've been very speedy in rectifying it and it is part of warranty. I should be able to do new test flight end of this week if all goes to plan. I hope all goes well then. I'm done waiting.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 13th May 2014 at 15:15.