PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel V8 flys
Thread: Diesel V8 flys
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2014, 08:09
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That will nearly compare with running LOP
All diesels run LOP... don't they? Comes from controlling power by fuel delivery, rather than by air throttling. Diesels therefore run at full throttle, all the time. Not full fuel flow of course. Very efficient way to run an engine, as all turbine drivers know.

I have several years' experience with running Diamond's product. Granted, we had LAMEs on site. But they couldn't repair anything electronic; all they could do was replace bits. It was the mechanical side of things that let down the Diamond product in the early years, not the electronics, which were very reliable.

Will this engine would run into the same problem as the Thielerts where a loss of electrical power means an engine failure. Remember the double engine failure in Germany of the DA42 when the gear was retracted after a jump start. I wouldn't want to fly a Thielert engine any further from a suitable landing area than the battery endurance.
27/09. The pilots of that aircraft took off in contravention of an explicit warning in the flight manual. They chose to operate the aircraft outside of a flight manual limitation. Diamond took a lot of heat over it, and perhaps in the long run that's for the best, as a permanent fix was found. But it wasn't their "fault".

Basically, an electric engine requires a digitally valid voltage (e.g. more than 5V, actual voltage I don't know) supply at all times to the FADEC. Now when you retract the undercarriage in a light aircraft, the hydraulic drive motor will briefly take 100% of both alternators' output. "Briefly", in this context, might mean as little as a tenth of a second. If you have chosen to take off with a known duff battery, the battery can't maintain system voltage over this short period. The FADEC will see a loss of voltage, and will sense that as a "shut down" signal. Game over, if you're at 100' after take-off.

The cure, for Diamond at least, was to state in the Limitations section that the engine (second engine for twins) had to be started on battery power. If you couldn't do that, the battery was not fit for flight. Of course, pilots ignored that warning, so now there are, in Diamonds at least, a couple of camcorder batteries (I kid you not!) hardwired to each ECU. To maintain voltage in the event of above-mentioned pilot's actions.