PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA460 heavy landing on March 12th
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2014, 06:34
Erwin Schroedinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodpecker wrote:

There is a report of erratic altitude keeping during the descent. If true, why?
Why? Well I would agree it is very difficult to maintain a constant altitude during descent, my experiences show that the altitude reduces after the TOD.

I personally will try harder next time I fly but I can't guarantee to succeed.
A perfect example of my observation that 'some posts here and elsewhere have a suspicious aroma'.
Below is a relevant link and a quote from that link:

British Airways Flight Attendant Found Dead - Possible Link To Rough Landing - SavvyStews.com

The aircraft dropped altitude during the routine final from 33,000 feet to 22,900 feet, but then back up to 27,500, a sudden change of 2,280 feet. Another drop in altitude happened at 26,000 feet to 13,600 where another bump in altitude took them to 18,700 feet. From there, the aircraft drops more altitude to 11,000 feet, then back up to 16,900. Now we see a pattern of bad weather combined with the pilot operating in a manner consistent with anxiety and what may have also been an attempt to stay above some turbulent conditions.
Can any qualified, professional pilot explain how the described flight profile could be termed a 'normal descent' and to give his/her opinion of the competence and mental state of the pilot executing such a descent?

I repeat:

There are some very strange contradictory statements relating to this case, whilst some posts here and elsewhere have a suspicious aroma, IMHO.
  • Some cabin crew fold-down seats on some aircraft are not particularly well padded or shock-absorbent.
  • All cabin crew reportedly unfit to continue duties. Yet no passengers are reported to have officially complained.
  • The Captain, whether PF or PNF, reportedly apologised on the PA for the landing. Yet BA reportedly declared a 'normal landing'.
  • The Captain reportedly blamed the wind, yet another source reports that the wind was light and virtually constant.
  • There is a report of erratic altitude keeping during the descent. If true, why?
  • Was a heavy landing check requested?
  • Was an MOR filed?
  • Are the CAA involved? There is a report of them being contacted, so where is their acknowledgement?

Is it not about time the facts were established by the CAA and published? Dismissals on the grounds of 'Typical news reporting' or 'Cabin crew conspiracy' simply don't suffice.