PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel V8 flys
Thread: Diesel V8 flys
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2014, 05:55
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
1. Electronics are more reliable than magnetos provided they are designed and constructed properly with sufficiently derated components. I would have thought Bosch has mastered this. As far as I know an integrated circuit doesnt wear out.

2. Quick google of CG iron shows that it may be just the "breakthrough technology" necessary for diesel aircraft engines.:

(a) five times better fatigue life than aluminiun.

(b) Solves engine design problems:

All V-engines share a common design weakness, as there is a lot of flexing in the V-area between the cylinders when it is under power. CGI strengthens this physical area considerably.

Audi is an early user of CGI material in its power production. All Audi 2.7L, 3.0 V6 and 4.0 V8 diesel engine blocks are now being made of CGI. The V8 main bearing caps are also cast in place, laser etched and then fractured for an absolutely perfect fit after bearing sizing.

The BMW Series 7 V8 engine was also cast in CGI. Hyundai, currently the number seven automobile company in the world, and rising, has V6 CGI blocks scheduled for full series production during 2006. Its World Rally Championship car (1997-99) also had a CGI engine block.

The new 2005 Jaguar 2.7L Ford/PSA V6 diesel is made of CGI. At 445 pounds fully assembled, it is lighter than a comparable aluminum diesel. Even the new James Bond will soon be driving a diesel powered Jaguar R-D6.

Other CGI Users [back to top]

Nearly all NASCAR teams are running CGI engine blocks, or blocks with CGI liners. These liners are usually plated with a hard-surface coating. It has been reported that some NASCAR teams are able to run a whole season without having to re-bore the blocks.

The Toyota Racing Development (TRD) campaign has the #12 Craftsman pick-up truck. This 5.8L V8 CGI engine block weighs 89 kg (195 pounds), has a 3 mm (0.118 inch) cylinder wall thickness and produces 650 hp (83.5 kW/liter). For comparison purposes, standard CGI diesel engines will soon be producing 66kW/liter.

General Motors’ Opel subsidiary has used CGI for the engine block of its 2.5-liter V6 DTM racing engine. Theoretically, a CGI engine block can be fabricated lighter than an aluminum block for equal power densities.

A recent 500cc Suzuki Grand Prix motorcycle engine had a crankcase fabricated from CGI. Nothing is put on these racing machines that would pose any kind of a weight penalty, and this is an extreme example showing the real potential of CGI applications.
P.S. Having just punted a 200 series turbo diesel Landcruiser to Darwin and back via the Alice and Perth, I have to advise that your tool kit these days apart from hoses, belts and filters, consists of a satelllite phone and a RACV service membership. Yoiu can't fix the engine of my Fifteen yeaqr old 80 series all mechanical turbo diesel landcruiser by the side of the road either if its injection system or valve train is stuffed.