PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Blue Angels commander under investigation
Old 13th May 2014, 04:15
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
.................anyhoo if this young lass can make it then anyone can go to the Blues if they apply/qualify etc.....
Congratulations to Capt. Sara Joyner. The aim of every Naval Aviator is to someday command a squadron and from there, if they're really blessed, become "CAG" (the Carrier Air-Group commander, Air-Group being the older name for an Air Wing); i.e. the head man/woman of the several squadrons deployed on an aircraft carrier. The position is very difficult to achieve because competition if fierce and there are only a handful of openings, especially these days.

However, "making it" as CAG is only remotely related to being a member of the Flight Demonstration Team. There is a requirement to first be a Naval Aviator, of course. But a good CAG does not a good Blue Angel make and vice versa. Back in my day, the simple fact that Capt. Joyner started her flying career by being assigned to a composite (utility) squadron would be a permanent stain on her resume' sufficient to keep her off the Blues but would not have much impact on her selection as the leader of an Air Wing.

Things have changed over the years of course, but the person you want on your flight demonstration team is not necessarily the person you want as your CAG and perhaps neither of them is the person you want on your wing when you're flying in combat. I've known many great men who were outstanding at one or two of these skills, but not all three.

If Capt. Joiner proves to be a good manager and a good leader she will likely be a good CAG. Her flying ability, good or bad, at that point will hardly be a factor.