PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2014, 00:46
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good pick up SIUYA... Once again a disturbing tale of CYA (cover your ass) at all costs, seems to be filtering out in the aftermath of the RFS fire bombing tragedy. Going by yr right's last post, it would seem the standard BTP i.e. blame the pilot modus operandi (bit hard in this case) of FF has shifted to BTE (blame the engineer)...

As YR mentions this matter has been queried in the Senate by none other than the Heff himself, who will all know by now is a Terrier and will not let the matter slide

[YOUTUBE]

Which illicited this 'weasel worded'....response from (& referred to by YR) FF to the Heff QON:
Rural & Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ON NOTICE Supplementary Budget Estimates November 2013 Infrastructure and Regional Development
Question no.: 131
Program: n/a
Division/Agency: (CASA) Civil Aviation Safety Authority
Topic: Relationship between CASA and the Rural Fire Service
Proof Hansard Page/s: 52 (18/11/2013)

Senator Heffernan asked:

Mr McCormick: I can give you a notice, if you like, about the relationship between us and the Rural Fire Service.

CHAIR: I think it is not between the pilot and the Rural Fire Service; it has to be between you and the Rural Fire Service. There needs to be some steadying influence in the cowboy attitude at times. I am not alleging anything, broadly, but it is an uncomfortable feeling that a lot of very learned, experienced pilots have. This guy was disgusted that a remark would be made: 'Are you a man or aren't you? Get up there!' I can give you the details.

Mr McCormick: We will look into that.

Answer: CASA provides oversight of Air Operator Certificate holders, including those who conduct aerial firefighting operations under a commercial relationship with the Rural Fire Service. CASA does not oversight Rural Fire Service organisations directly.

CASA has been advised by the NSW Rural Fire Service that it is undertaking an investigation into the matter raised by Senator Heffernan. CASA has requested a copy of that report when completed, and will consider its content in respect of any aviation safety concerns.
From that it would appear it is all in the lap of the gods but the signs are ominous that another CYA SOP action is being crafted behind closed doors...