PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Here----Question
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2003, 00:26
FWA NATCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ocean,

All I can say is DITTO what ZeroZero wrote.

College is a whole lot different than high school, and when push comes to shove that college degree will become a determining factor how or which direction your career goes.

I felt the same way you did about college so I went into the USMC, did my four years. After I got out I went to full time college, worked full time, and supported a family, all in the effort to make myself more marketable.

The only thing that I haven't accomplished yet is obtaining my pilots license, but hey I do the next thing better, I'm an Air Traffic Controller. Could I have accomplished everything that I've done so far without a college degree, NO!

You sound like you have established good goals, and that you are willing to work hard to obtain your goals, but your problem is that you lack direction in how to best obtain them. Weigh all your options, make a list of the pluses and minuses, talk with people that are already in the industry (don't leave out talking to military pilots).

As ZeroZero said the aviation industry is in a huge flux, there are a lot of high time pilots looking in from the other side of the fence, wondering when or if they will get rehired. Make your career path decisions wisely and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Mike
NATCA FWA