PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPL IR/ En-route IR
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 20:11
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone thinking they can just pitch up in their aircraft knock of a quick test and walk away with an EASA IR is seriously deluding themselves.
Absolutely agree - But, according to the Regs, it is totally up to the candidate to decide when they are ready for test.

No ATO is going to put you forward for test unless they are happy you are going to pass as it reflects on them with the CAA. This means you are going to have to do some training with them. I now have approval to do this and send you for test but again I would not sign you off unless we had verified you were ready.
This is a totally unnecessary Catch 22 argument: Test failures only reflect badly on an ATO if the candidate(s) is(are) their student(s). They are only the ATO's student if the ATO HoT recommends them for test, which the HoT will only do if the candidate has trained with them. Training only being required in order to satisfy the HoT in order for them to confirm ready for test.

I now have approval to do this and send you for test.
Do you mean your ATO has an approved course for foreign SP ICAO IR Holders to convert to an EASA SP IR via the Competency Based Route?

bose-x,
That was quick! The Rules only came out about four weeks ago. Did you have a course ready to submit? As long as any course you want to offer meets the minimum required by EASA (in this case zero training) why wouldn't the CAA approve it?

Did you, perhaps, 'Gold Plate' the requirements yourself?

- - - - -
C-bM IR must be conducted by an allocated CAA Staff Examiner
I Genuinely don't understand how this works:

I didn't think Staff Examiners existed any more - just Examiners and Senior Examiners.

I understand that the CAA can (will?) allocate the Senior Examiner who a candidate must use for an initial IR Test?

Does the candidate not apply direct to the CAA for this Examiner allocation?

Where does an ATO fit in/why are they involved at all?