PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Average Pilot Experience Levels Of Each Airline Be Public?
Old 12th May 2014, 17:58
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panda, I'm not entirely comfortable with 3000hrs being sufficient for a jet command, but then again, it's a minimum and not a qualifier. I agree that the industry needs to ensure commanders are suitably experienced, and frankly I don't think many FOs get enough experience in 3k unless they're in the habit of shooting albatross. The average guy may see one or two weather diversions and a single tech issue, but that's probably about it. Some of the more fortunate ones will see more, but some of the guys I know who are due for command soon in these outfits and have passed their screening have never diverted. I can't help feeling that was a factor in the mess that was the MAD-VLC mass diversion. But, I still think that hours per se are a misleading indicator for experience, especially amongst long haul pilots who spend most of their flight time dong relatively little but checking the nav and fuel consumption. As long as pilots are selected on aptitude and given suitable training, then experience will continue to play only a smaller role in safety.