PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Average Pilot Experience Levels Of Each Airline Be Public?
Old 12th May 2014, 17:18
Calmcavok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be horrified! It's not a good look.

You're again missing the main reason why publishing a league table is a bad idea: context. The 1800hr upgrade was possible and a few did it in that time. It was/is an airline that has a huge mix of experience, be it cadet, ex-mil, ex-legacy or returning expats. Captains with between 2000 - 15000+ hours. Most upgraded with more time than the minimum. The average sector length was around an hour, so you could have had 1600 odd sectors under your belt when it came for command assessment. And all achieved in around 3 years. In my current gig, I'll find it a stretch to do much more than 300 sectors in 3 years, but the average sector is considerably longer than an hour!

I take on board your example, but it's a weak one. You were working hard, the skipper wasn't, he had more capacity at that moment most likely. Probably wondering why you were still in the clag at 1400' on a CAVOK day! You'll always go somewhere for the first time, be it 200hrs or 10000hrs

A league table as you describe, despite being pointless, would never be subscribed to by any airline. If you're concerned by particular operators, name them and explain why. Then we might be able to understand your position better.