PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 16:12
MPN11

Received 142 Likes on 65 Posts
Ah, Danny42C ... that Stn Cdr again. Twunt!! Do forgive me, but ...

In the heady days of '65, some may recall that Officers of the WRNS were not actually subject to the Naval Discipline Act. Thus it was that a WRNS officer, walking about the Station between classrooms, was assailed by said charming Stn Cdr.
"You!! Why did not you not salute me?"
"Because, as WRNS, I only have to if I want to, Sir."
He was awful, but thankfully I never had 'close contact'.

Oh, and ...
Originally Posted by Danny42C
One of the most honoured institutions in the RAF is "Wednesday Afternoon Sports".
Yes, we had those at Manby/Strubby in 65 ... in theory. The theory (which was reasonable) was that Wednesday 'Sports Afternoons' would be compensated for by the occasional Saturday morning in lieu.

What actually happened was that the flying programme at both Units (School of Refresher Flying, at Manby and Strubby) inevitably slipped due to weather. So we usually worked Wednesday afternoons, and frequently Saturday morning as well, just to keep the ball rolling. In fact, as an ATC shift worker, if there was ever (was there ever?) a Wednesday afternoon off, you could guarantee it was when you were off watch anyway!

However ... we were allowed to wear Sports Jackets or Blazers in the Mess on Wednesday evening and Saturday evening, which compensated hugely. One felt so much better for that

it was much simpler at RAF Stanley in the 80s ... there were no days off, and you wore DPM all the time ... with a bow tie at Dining In Nights, says a former PMC