PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAL 331 Kingston final report
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 15:39
aa73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK465,

They were accepted into ASAP due to the fact that 1) Jamiacan ATC and authorities were also found at fault, 2) they did not intentionally violate any regs, and 3) due to 1 and 2 above, this accident fell into the classic scenario of the crew being led into the circumstances....i.e., it was deemed an accident that has the potential of misleading any crew if they're not vigilant, which is the whole purpose of ASAP to begin with. In other words, FAA and NASA deemed this accident very worthwhile to learn from and accepting them into ASAP was well worth the consequences for future prevention. This as opposed to the type of accident where the crew is found blatantly negligent and intentionally violated regs, in which case they'd not only NOT be accepted into ASAP but terminated as well.

I will restate once again that I'm not clearing the flight crew from blame, their actions in the end led to the accident....but rather, I'm more concerned about posting ALL the facts surrounding this accident, since most posts here have only focused on the flight crew's actions, as well as correcting some of the misinformation that was posted. Finally, I'm also more concerned about pointing out the traps we can all fall into, that MAY lead us into making that one last bad decision that can have unfortunate results. There is much to learn from this accident.

Regards