PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 12:36
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some here take comments as against Cirrus aircraft. It's pilots or the chute and respond in a very defensive manner!
The fact is the Cirrus is the first mass produced aircraft to have a standard BRS and it is without doubt a huge contribution to safety! The idea of reliably lowering the aircraft and it's occupants to the ground is very appealing!
But that fact alone will generate discussion as some of the proposed uses fly I. The face of conventional training.
There are those who promote the chute for any engine failure!
I see that Cirrus do not back this stance as in the FM the procedure stated by Cirrus is to glide to a suitable landing area and to perform a FL!
Only with no suitable landing area do they quote " Consider" the use of the chute ! Yet many promote it's use for any situation where the pilot feels threatened!
We are talking about GA PPL pilots!
Their currency. Ability and experience vary enormously so extra diligence needs to be taken not to attempt trips they would not do in a conventional un chuted aircraft.
Flying in ones limits becomes even more important as well as the decision making of when and where to pull

Pace