PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAL 331 Kingston final report
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 09:53
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SafetyP.

Do we always know the height at which we cross the threshold? +10ft probably
not. +20ft possibly yes;
If I hear "50" from autocallout as I cross the threshold, then all is well. If not, then I know some work lies ahead. An eye on PP2 and wind component always advisable on finals. Maybe not all aircraft have this tool available.

Once again, for the armchair experts, landing at night, in rain on a runway with no TDZ lighting and faded TDZ markings with tailwind (reported shortly before as just within legal limits) is a challenge, even for the aces of the bases.

Flap 30? As I said before, do not know AA SOP for 738. On my machine, next lower flap only used in gusty conditions or very light landing weights.

RNav approaches? You have to be qualified. Were they? Also, not quite as easy as they sound; go from "VNav Pth" to "VNav Spd" on the approach and you are scrambling, unless fully briefed and prepared. ILS much easier.

First, the F/O, as well as the CA, are both still employed and flying the line
for AA today.
This from AA73, pretty well sums things up, so let it be. "Probe don't Punish", (not my phrase, by the way), but I would hope and expect that punishment is meted out where deserved. As stated before by myself, conspiracy theories by some posters re racial, ethnic (etc,etc) bias should be ruled out. Aviation safety knows no boundaries. No psycho babble. We're all in this together.

I always think, if I or my family were flying on board this flight today, how would I like to be flown by the guys up front.

If there is any doubt, then there is no doubt. (easier said than done, of course....)