PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VLJ's
Thread: VLJ's
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2014, 03:49
jdeakin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall discussions on various forums/mags about having lots of these fast little things zipping around all over the place OCTA into CTAF's etc being flown by PVT pilots with deep pockets & little experience, that was an issue at the time.
The one thing that Eclipse had figured out was the "Deep Pockets & Little Experience" pilots. For the first time in 39,000 hours and a lot of check rides (taken and given), this was a no-s*** serious program, and if any of the instructors decided you were not qualified, you did NOT get the rating, there was NO alternative, and you did not get to fly your airplane. If you came back again, another time, you were almost guaranteed to fail again. They were definitely looking for TALENT and ABILITY ONLY. Nothing really special, but NO HAMBURGERS.

I had a female training partner with low time in the sim, and had to hustle to keep up with her. I'd have passed her with flying colors, if it had been up to me, and Eclipse agreed. The type rating was not the last step, either. Eclipse had a small cadre of "Mentors" who rode with customers after the rating ride for up to 100 hours, and if they said no dice, you were OUT. A rather large number of people got early airplanes, but could not qualify, and had to sell them. Some high-time airline pilots, too. Take some pilot with 30,000 hours in jets, long accustomed to another pilot helping him out, and dump him in the Eclipse where it's ALL up to him, and a lot of them get lost, and behind.

I came along right at the transition point. Before I got there, high-time jet pilots COULD take their airplane and go solo after the rating ride, "no mentor." While I was there, a couple of such high-timers did that, and got into trouble, nearly ruining the record. I applied for it, but they called me in, told me about the problems they'd had, and said, "Sorry, you'll have to take a mentor." I'll admit to some annoyance, but he spent a full day's flying with me, from Albuquerque, to Las Vegas, to Camarillo CA, then a night IFR trip across LAX to Santa Ana, with NO help, and continuous problems. Final test was a dead-stick (simulated double-engine failure) about five miles out on an oddball pattern. "Stick it on not before 500' and not later than 1500'." Got lucky, and I was good to go.

Raburn laid down the law according to Raburn on training, and hired instructors to do it. Like I said, NO fatalities, and just a few minor accidents. They did a LOT wrong, made a LOT of mistakes, but training was not one of them.

John Deakin