PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of a light aircraft down in Blue Mountains
Old 11th May 2014, 23:12
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-XXX: 27/09, go ahead, be my guest... so you could land an SR22 here over the fence at 75-80 knots?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lawso...ralia&t=h&z=13
Before making my post I did have a look on G E. There's a pretty handy looking golf course nearby.

Yep, there's a bit of tiger country around. If I used the chute I'd be concerned about ending up in a location where it was very difficult for SAR to get to. I'd rather have some control over where I ended up.

While I don't think it was the case in this incident I still stand by my comments about "safety" features like the BRS system on the Cirrus giving many pilots the confidence to go where they might not normally do so. To illustrate my point I can think of some VFR loss of control and CFIT accidents where pilots probably pressed on poor wx on using GPS to navigate by when they wouldn't have done so with out GPS. That doesn't make GPS a bad thing to use, but common sense needs to apply.

I'm not saying a BRS system doesn't have it's very real benefits just that it gives some people a false sense of security. I'd be willing to bet the incident rate is higher in such aircraft.